Sunday, December 18, 2005

Surry Hills Bar Hop

This could double up in my 5 Streets blog, and should, since I've neglected it lately.

A and I did a bar hop of the new bars in my area last night. Two new bars have opened up just a stone's throw from my building. Which I think is super cool. I love my area! We started at Uchi Lounge, a bar/restaurant that has been around a while. We had sake cocktails downstairs before quirky Japanese above. The meal (sesame tofu and tempura prawns with tofu and calamari-stuffed wontons for me) was not that great (I should stick to sashimi), but it's a nice, comfortable space. I'd never heard of it but it filled up very quickly - I love knowing that there are in-the-know places that not everyone knows about, if you know what I mean.

Next it was on to Lo Studio, or at least I think that's what it's called. Recently opened, it has no signs anywhere and looks unfinished inside. We had the bar to ourselves and drank up. I hope it does well, the bar guy was lovely and the menu looks good (I'm a sucka for Italian) and reasonably priced. Plus, it's directly opposite chez moi, and I could do with a swanky local to take people.

(Because we'd had quite a bit to drink, we didn't get around to La Sala, the new bar/restaurant around the corner, but I was not disappoitned. It's Darren Simpson's new digs and after a rubbish meal at his Aqua Luna with equally rubbish response after my complaint letter, I'm in no hurry to hand him over more of my money. Plus, the menu has risotto with prawns, peas and dill. Who doesn't do risotto with prawns, peas and something in this city? It's the ubiquitous dish, as well as appearing on every Jamie Oliver/Donna Hay cookbook and I want something more exciting when I go out to eat, especially at a new hotspot).

3 Comments:

Blogger TessaJ said...

Sounds like a fun evening! What a great neighborhood you have. And I'm with you: Always stick to sashimi, even when the rest of the menu sounds fabulous.

9:57 AM  
Blogger Julia said...

It was super fun (sake cocktails, after reading about sake cocktails in my gorgeous new cocktail book from a very special Miss Julie).

Sashimi is so good in this country - I'll know from now on!

Plus hon, it's almost a working bar hop - I'm researching for when you come out ;-)

10:10 AM  
Blogger TessaJ said...

There's a fun place near here where we go for sake cocktails from time to time. Also soju cocktails.

Well, if you have to do it for research!

10:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home