Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Bacon, Leek And Barley Soup

Dad pointed me to David Herbert's recipes in The Weekend Australian and we both tried two simple, no-fuss recipes, both of which were a great success. I definitely recommend this soup for a hearty, winter meal.

Bacon, Leek And Barley Soup, serves 4
Adapted from David Herbert's Food section in The Weekend Australian

5 rashers of good bacon, diced into 1cm pieces
2 cloves of garlic
1-2 leeks, sliced in 1cm rings then cut in half
2 celery stalks, thinly sliced
(You could also add 1-2 carrots, sliced, but I hate cooked carrots)
1/2 cup barley
1.25 litres chicken stock
Couple of bay leaves and sprigs of thyme

In a large pot fry the bacon in a little olive oil for 5-7 minutes; it should cook but not crisp. Add the whole cloves of garlic, leek and celery and cook for another 5 minutes until the vegetables soften. Add the barley, chicken stock and herbs and stir through, then pop the lid on and simmer on a low-ish temperature for one hour.

3 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

jeesus that looks good.

I still can't get over the fact that we feel the same way about cooked carrots.

7:24 PM  
Blogger The Late Bloomer said...

This looks and sounds scrumptious -- I'll definitely be trying this out when winter weather arrives! (And trust me, given the unpredictability of weather here in Paris these days, that could be anyday soon! Do I sound pessimistic?!)

And I know this probably sounds incredibly silly, but will I have a hard time finding barley here? Leeks and bacon, no problem -- but the barley part, not so much... In any case, I'm mad about leeks, so I'll try any recipes using them!

8:49 PM  
Blogger Julia said...

Sarah, blegh.

LB, I wouldn't think you'd have a problem, let me know. They're so nutty and delicious and perfect for winter. I love leeks too, feel free to add up to 3 in this recipe.

9:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home