Monday, March 13, 2006

Low Expectations

I expected blah and ended up having the best night.

Everyone was in a good mood, no one was bragging about being married or having children, and most seemed open and interested in catching up, albeit briefly (and anyway, that's ideal in these situations). There was shrieking over people I'd forgotten about, shrieking at people I didn't expect to show up, and genuine joy at seeing people who had been important in my life: Lucy, Abby, Justin, Shanaz (Evie still remembers mum's sponge cake...and the exploding golf ball!). It didn't validate me, but surprised me that people remembered me, that the cutest boy in the year asked for my number and gave me his card. It was beautiful when Justin leaned in during a group conversation and told me he was in love with me during high school.

The rest of the night took a pleasurably deviant turn, involving a gay friend and straight new-found friend from school, chemicals, dancing and flirting at a tres fun gay club, and spending the wee hours with aforementionned new-found friend on my balcony, in my bed, smoking, talking on e, very much enjoying each other's company. Bliss.

12 Comments:

Blogger Y said...

Gah! You are such a tease!!!

4:43 AM  
Blogger chimera said...

I have no particular comment to make, I'm just waiting for the R rated part...

8:05 AM  
Blogger TessaJ said...

Patiently waiting!

9:44 AM  
Blogger Doll Face said...

i feel like the night went over in a blur...

10:01 AM  
Blogger Jules said...

Waiting, waiting, waiting for the R Rated part...

10:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

no! don't make us wait! your life is the only R rated viewing i get these days!

10:13 AM  
Blogger Doll Face said...

what is the exploding golf ball BTW?

11:06 AM  
Blogger Julia said...

Once at Evie's we had one of those novelty golf balls that explodes when you hit it - it's filled with flour and it went everywhere. I think the dog got into it too. We were 12. It was funny.

11:12 AM  
Blogger Doll Face said...

I had no idea you were close friends with Evie.

I keep asking myself where was I for 6 years?

1:21 PM  
Blogger Julia said...

We were for a while early on in HS, she came over for NY one year and mum made this fabulous spongecake with cream and strawberries and Evie raved about it for years, and still remembered it on Friday!

1:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Must admit I am a bit gutted I missed the whole thing ... It was a bit short notice and already had made plans to ski that week. Oh well, on the bright side there was so much snow in Alpe d'Huez ... yay!!

7:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Everything always tuens out better when you start with low expectations, I'm so gld you had (alot of) fun, Julia!

2:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home