Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Brokeback Mountain

Mega hype + not winning the big Oscar = I can finally go and see it. I hate hype, it can lead to no good.

I liked it, despite missing probably a third in the mumbling (somewhat annoying; it's not a documentary, they had to speak clearer, really), acting was good, the soundtrack emotive enough to bring a glisten to my eye. What I wanted to see more of was their relationship. All their dialogue really consisted of was when they would meet up and fighting over not being together. It was hard to see what made their connection so strong. It's enough for European cinema but had me wanting more in this film. A question:

At the end, Jack's parents tell Ennis that Jack had spoken to them about living up there in a cabin with someone after him (the ranch hand from the dance who propositioned him outside?). Do you believe that? So this great love story isn't that great if Jack had moved onto someone else. Discuss.

5 Comments:

Blogger TessaJ said...

I believe that Jack HAD to move on because he (sadly) realized that Ennis couldn't (or chose not to) give him everything he needed, whereas Jack was so ready to Ennis's everything, regardless of the risks. I think it was a move out of desperation and sadness and loneliness and perhaps even revenge.

Those of us from the South/Southwest/Cowboy region of the US apologize for the accent. (No, I don't mumble like that, I promise.)

Personally (again, me personally) I don't think it deserved the best picture award (though I know you weren't the biggest fan of Crash), but I think it will go down as an important film in history. Deservedly so.

10:15 AM  
Blogger Julia said...

Thanks so much, that has really helped in my understanding of it.

10:36 AM  
Blogger chimera said...

Jack's moving on added to Ennis' heartbreak as well - not only does he learn his lover died, he also learns that he had someone else. The look on Heath Ledger's face during that scene - oh my. And I don't think it makes the love story any less moving or sincere - Jack waited for Ennis for what, 20 years ? before finally moving on - or trying to, anyway.

9:32 PM  
Blogger TessaJ said...

Yes, it makes me think that a lot of people pay an awful lot of money to go see an awful lot of bad movies!!!

12:04 PM  
Blogger maitresse said...

I don't think Jack actually moved on in his heart-- he was never totally faithful to Ennis once he realized Ennis wouldn't be "faithful" to him (meaning, Ennis put his time with his daughters before Jack). So the other guy he was going to bring up to the ranch-- he may or may not have been serious about it, but it definitely wasn't a "moving on" in the sense that he had moved past Ennis.

and I agree with you about the connection between them. In my opinion it needed to be stronger before they sleep together-- because that first sex scene makes no sense as it is right now. It's not clear enough that they like each other in that way-- all of their hanging out together just seemed like a typical male friendship, without any hint of a connection that needed to be expressed physically.

and what the heck is "Crash"?? never heard of it.

9:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home