Thursday, February 23, 2006

Govinda's

Govinda's is a Sydney institution and yet last night was my first time. It's a vegetarian buffet and movie room filled with day beds instead of seats (dinner and movie for $21.90). The trip to Govinda's tied in nicely with the vegan-for-a-day challenge, and it was their last screening of Shopgirl, which I'd read but couldn't see at the cinemas because it had a very short run.

The food? Blah. And while I'm 100% carniverous I can still appreciate a good vegetarian dish, so I'm not being a meat-eating snob (ok, I am one. I could never date a vegetarian. I could never date anyone who didn't like seafood. But I digress). Vegetable curry was probably the best thing but lacked any punch. The papadums that didn't blow off my plate weren't crisp, and there were these balls of sponge in tomato sauce that boggle the mind. There was however brown rice, rarely seen, and I love the nutty, chewy flavour and texture.

Then it's on the cinema upstairs, and it's a lovely intimate space and the day beds are good. I'll tick the dinner off, but will definitely be back for the movies.


Vegetarian bits and pieces

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

looks fucking awful.

you could have bought a King Island steak and hired the DVD for $25

;-)

9:48 AM  
Blogger Jules said...

"balls of sponge in tomato sauce"

Mmmm... sounds delicious! ;-)

10:14 AM  
Blogger Julia said...

I am having the biggest baddest steak sandwich for lunch, let me tell you...

10:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I recall eating far too much deep-fried cauliflower for my own good. It's bad but that's kinda half the fun.

3:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home