Thursday, February 23, 2006

Five Food Challenges For 2006

I've been tagged by the delightful Helen to come up with five food challenges for the year. OK then, here goes...

1. Be vegan for a day
I did this yesterday - what a jinx! For breakfast, a peach, for lunch, gazpacho and corn chips and dinner at Govinda's. I'm pure carnivore, and while it was easy to say no to meat for a day, it was the dairy I missed the most, in the form of cheese and chocolate. And I noticed how unhealthy it could be - a lot of junk food is vegan and the buffet at Govinda's had lots of fried vegetables. I will not be challenging myself with this one again!

2. Cook more
I love everything to do with cooking - the art of gastronomy, cookbooks and shows, celebrity chefs, kitchenware - and yet since living alone I have done very little cooking. A previous self-challenge was 'prepare at least one new recipe for my cookbooks each week' but for now I'll aim even lower and try and cook more times than I eat/take out.

3. Go mushroom picking
I loved doing this as a little girl with mum and her friends, and I've asked if we can go again. We're waiting for the cooler months, and then off to the woods we go. Yippee!

4. Post Note my favourite recipes
This is such a simple yet clever idea that I got from Delicious Days. Especially with my favourite ever cookbook, The Silver Spoon at 1,264 pages, the little yellow Post Its peaking their way out are a godsend. (And keep printing out recipes I see on the internet instead of just adding them into the abyss that is Favorites).

5. Make pasta
This has been on my to-do list for years. I have the pasta machine, I have every conceivable recipe on hand, I have put aside the "leave it for a rainy weekend" attitude since Sydney never has rainy weekend, now I just need to do it.

Now it's my turn: tag you're it TJ, Jules, Vanessa, Lottie.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great ideas Julia and yes, I'd love to go mushroom picking! Whereabouts does your mum go?

12:43 AM  
Blogger TessaJ said...

These are all great. What a fun idea!

8:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

by the way - i have something for you which will fit n poerfectly with this theme - i can either post it to you (pretty pathetic since i'm living here now) drop it by your work on the way home one night or we'll be over your side this weekend - i can drop it off at your place.

9:39 AM  
Blogger Julia said...

Oooh! How about we have a drink at the Woolwich Pier after work next week?

9:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sounds like a plan - we went there for dinner and a drink last Sunday - was nice.

10:47 AM  
Blogger charlotte said...

golly, I seem to have set myself up for a busy time food wise... thank you for the tag!

2:04 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

i LOVE vegan baked goods. cheese i would miss.

1:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home