Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Goodbye, Vogue

I've had a subscription to Vogue Australia for two years now (a gift from my sister). I always looked forward to that fresh, crisp copy arriving well before it hit newstands, coming home and doing nothing that night but gawking over it's colourful, interesting pages.

That hasn't happened these past two years.

Instead, I've become more and more irritated with it's poor copy, superficiality and far-from-interesting fashion and fashion shoots. But it's the writing that has really bugged me. I expect good things from a magazine of Vogue's stature. Not first year journalism student copy. There's always a spattering of wanky words and terms and headlines like fashion nous and Perth is the new Paris. And not an issue goes by without advertisements masquerading as articles (in the latest issue, encouraging young women to get the latest non-surgical face lift). And there have been more POAs than I've ever seen, and we all know POA stands for "oh shit the work experience kid forgot to get the prices from Chanel!". And I'm paying for this cat litter liner?

No more!

3 Comments:

Blogger Jules said...

Perth is the new Paris??? I KNOW you did not make that up, and that it is a real article.

I think that someone at Vogue must be on some serious drugs to actually think that and print it in an article.

I must admit, I am not missing my free 6 monthly subscription to Madison now that it has expired.

12:37 PM  
Blogger Julia said...

I could never make that up!

I miss our chitchats over the latest issues of Vogue and Madison. Is Madison even still around?

12:42 PM  
Blogger Jules said...

I believe Madison is still around. I see it when I go to the supermarket, sitting with all the other mags at the check-out. Every now and then I glance at the cover, but to be honest, I can't remember any of the article titles, so they can't be all that interesting. Same old, same old.

10:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home