Friday, November 18, 2005

More Masstige

The phenomenon continues. Luella Bartley does a collection for Target, to be released in February. Thank you Fashionologie for the info.

I wonder where this is heading. Sure, I am head over heels for the idea, but it's an exhaustible concept and one that could eventually harm a brand. I think you either want to get on board NOW or forget about it.

Who would you like to see do a masstige collection? I can (and would love to) see Marc Jacobs, Alexander McQueen and Cavalli do one, but I'm not sure who else. Maybe Donatella could. Doubt the D&G boys would. Though anything's possible, right?

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Marc for sure. And I'd love it if Kate Spade jumped on the trend.

2:58 PM  
Blogger TessaJ said...

Doesn't Kate Spade have a housewares line for Target?

Prada. Cavalli. D&G. Jean Paul Gaultier. It will never happen!

3:24 PM  
Blogger Jules said...

I just started reading a book about the marketing of luxury goods - will send it to you when I am done. Its called "Let Them Eat Cake : Marketing Luxury to the Masses - As well as the Classes" by Paula Danziger. (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0793193079/102-5385480-1212135?v=glance&n=283155&s=books&v=glance)

Here's the problem I see about the new lines in Target and H&M that make luxury good accessible to the majority of people: luxury goods are meant to be hard to attain - this is what gives them their status and desirability. By making them available to everyone (or almost everyone), they lose a lot of their allure, and risk damaging their brand cache with the people who can afford to buy the real deal.

As a once-off, short collection, it might work in drawing people to the brand and making them lust after the real deal/full price item. But as a longer-term marketing strategy, I would be concerned about the damage being done to the brand.

This would make an awesome PhD research paper (god, I am such a nerd!).

3:51 PM  
Blogger Julia said...

I wanted to read that book! It's on my Amazon wishlist thingy.

I totally agree - I think the designers have enough of a problem with the counterfeit issue.

4:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home