Monday, November 07, 2005

(Too Much) Food, Glorious Food

Friday night: Fatty duck, vegetable hotpot and gelato Drumsticks. Occasion: DVD night in with N. We watched Under The Tuscan Sun (I love Diane Lane but this was not good) and Dirty Dancing. Why? Because stop press, I have never seen Dirty Dancing.

...(segway) I have also never seen:
* ET
* Any Harry Potter
* Gone With The Wind
* Willy Wonka And The Chocolate Factory
* Breakfast At Tiffany's
* Only the first of The Matrix and Lord Of The Rings trilogies

On the other hand I have probably seen more obscure foreign films than the average cinefile snob. Hey, it's my thang.

Saturday night: Moules frites (but bad frites) and chocolate beer at Epoque with A.
Sunday lunch: Seafood platters at Nick's Bondi Beach. Occasion: Dad's birthday. What a day. Blue sky, hot, the sea, glorious.

As if all this eating is not enough, I've just read a feature on high tea in The Australian's wanky "we're not as wanky as the Sydney magazine" Wish magazine and I am pining to be whisked away for a few hours of lavish surrounds and dedacant nibblies. High tea is quite du jour in Sydney but thanks to it's high cost I haven't enjoyed it for a few years - the last time being at the Sheraton On The Park and it was delightful.

I would sell a pair of shoes to be in London right now, indulging in high tea at The Ritz. Please, please visit their website, because I can't be the only one inwardly squeeling over the loveliness of their high tea salon:

...and this: "During the week a pianist plays and at weekends a harpist."

...and this: "Reservations are strongly recommended at least six weeks in advance."

...and their formal dress code: "Gentlemen are requested to wear a jacket and tie when using The Palm Court or The Ritz Restaurant. Jeans and/or training shoes are not permitted in these areas."

....and their menu, which, after 7.30pm, includes a glass of Champagne:

£34.00 per person (£35.00 per person from 1st January 2006)
Afternoon Tea Sandwiches
Smoked Salmon
Egg Mayonnaise with Cress
Ham
Chicken and Mayonnaise
Cucumber with Cream Cheese
Freshly Baked Raisin and Apple Scones with Devonshire Clotted Cream
and organic Strawberry Preserve
Assortment of Afternoon Tea Pastries and Cakes
Fruits of The Forest Compote with English Cream
Ritz Selected Teas or Ritz Blend Filter Coffee

5 Comments:

Blogger TessaJ said...

HA! That is so funny. I just watched Under the Tuscan Sun on Wednesday night. I didn't hate it (love Sandra Oh) but that may have been the California Sparkling Wine talking. Haven't read the book yet; those who have inform me that the movie is crap.

11:39 AM  
Blogger Julia said...

I love Sandra Oh too!

11:43 AM  
Blogger Jules said...

I love High Tea. So fabulous.

Had High Tea earlier this year a few times before I went to China.

Fave High Tea venue has got to be the Stamford Plaza in Brisbane, sitting under a marquee by the river. I had Chocolate High Tea there a couple of years ago and almost went into a sugar coma.

11:59 AM  
Blogger The unknown poster said...

I just did high tea at the Ritz Carleton here in Doha. Sublime. They don't do much really well here, but high tea at the Ritz cannot be compared.

8:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a Londoner I am embarrassed to say I have yet to make it to High Tea at the Ritz! I did however rise to the occasion at Harvey Nick's in Hong Kong last week (pics coming soon!). I was amazed that every joint in HK was serving high tea!!!

2:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home