Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Ces Petits Riens

1. I love Borders. I want to support local bookshops but I just love Borders. I love the 3-for-2, I love the airy spaces, I love the helpful staff.

I went in on Saturday with mum and we spent over an hour in there, walking out with:
+ In Her Shoes, Jennifer Weiner (for my sister)
+ Don't Tell Mum I Work On The Rigs (She Thinks I'm a Piano Player in a Whorehouse), Paul Carter (for my brother-in-law, only to find out he has it)
+ The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (it was 3-for-2, I've ordered the French from Amazon)
+ Garlic and Sapphires, Ruth Reichl
+ Jackie Weaver's autobiography
+ The Commonwealth Of Thieves, Thomas Keneally
+ The Silver Spoon, Phaidon (glorious, please buy it, please. If you can find a copy that is, it is completely sold out, yet I managed to nab one! Oh the joy!)

2. At the Vintage Bazaar, I actually managed to find something more than decent. A gorgeous blue-almost-lavendar 70s dress (polyester!) with sexy low V-neck back - $20! A bit of tailoring and it will be perfect for Sunday afternoon drinks at Ravesi's. Photo to come - where is my camera?!

3. I am severly pissed off that my friend N has today been made redundant. I want the best for her and hope she finds something truly great.

4. I had my nails done at one of those cheap and cheerful Korean nail bars on Saturday in the ubiquitous I'm Really Not A Waitress by OPI and no wonder it is such a hot seller, it's a gorgeous Dorothy's ruby slippers red.

5. I love this shot from Grand Magasin. I want it on my wall at home. I love when someone offers a light to your cigarette. It's a small gesture that is so sophisticated and sexy to me. Even more so when they hold your gaze through the orange flame and white smoke.

7 Comments:

Blogger TessaJ said...

I like Borders, but more than that...I love Amazon. I love the used bookstores in my city, but Amazon's so easy. Love it.

Can't wait to see a pic of the dress; sounds like quite a find.

4:45 PM  
Blogger Julia said...

Borders is our biggest bookstore now. Amazon is beautiful too but so often they are out of stock for rarer items - I'm just greedy and want absolutely everything. With free delivery.

4:48 PM  
Blogger Sab said...

Hi Julia - I enjoyed your blog, which I just stumbled on/over. Keep up the good work! I write and take photos of Paris, in case you're interested. Peace and love Sx

2:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to agree with Theresa, Amazon is swell. Such great prices and love the free shipping. Julia, Garlic and Sapphires is a great read. I can't get enough of Ruth Reichl. I love book buying sprees. It sounds like you had a great weekend.

5:21 AM  
Blogger Julia said...

Thanks for saying hello sab - your photos are great. I'll be stopping by often.

8:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Angus and Robertson has that book, the silver spoon, wonder if there'll still be some come pay day?

6:33 PM  
Blogger Jules said...

Love, love, love OPI I'm Not Really A Waitress. Gorgeous colour.

2:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home