Wednesday, August 01, 2007

It's Time

So, it's time to start chronicling a new chapter. I am planning to move to Amsterdam around November.

It hit me on my last birthday that the opportunity to live overseas would soon be limited and suddenly it was all I wanted. The idea was London but I soon delegated it to 'plan B' position. I love the city but just feel I want to try something else first, something more of a challenge.

I used this trip as a bit of a litmus test, sussing out new and visited places, asking myself, "could I live here?" Nothing felt too right (except Spain which came with the disappointment of learning there are no reciprocal WHV rights) but then Amsterdam, not knowing a thing about it, did. And it is central for more Europe-hopping which is what I want to use the time for.

It's also what D wants to do, so hopefully off we go together.

The only thing now is to save money, and to get my life in order here. The business, renting out my flat, and working out what will happen with the family business. Every day I do little bits of research, although everyone tells you something different!

I want to say that the family who I've told, my mum and my sister and brother-in-law, have been amazing. I was agonisingly nervous about telling them, more Kath than mum funnily enough, but both reactions have overwhelmed me with their support. "You have to go," said mum. Yet again I am blessed with so much love and support that I have to pinch myself sometimes. Telling dad though, will be a completely different story and I feel sick just thinking about it...

I'm looking forward to jotting this whole adventure down.

Labels: , , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger chimera said...

*squeaks with excitement*

how thrilling !

6:50 PM  
Blogger The Late Bloomer said...

Félicitations !

Good luck with your plans, Julia. It sounds like a wonderful adventure that will bring you so much. I'll be crossing my fingers for you that everything falls into place, but I'm sure it will. You don't need luck, in fact; you're making your life happen!

7:21 PM  
Blogger Claire said...

Julia, you will do it, it will all go smoothly...the adventure begins now, yes? Wheeeeeeeee! x

8:40 PM  
Blogger machiruda said...

Wow, how exciting!

What made Amsterdam so much more a better fit for you than other places you went to? Am quite curious... Definitely glad to hear you liked it!

Anyway, if you need help with any questions or whatever you can always get in touch.

3:17 AM  
Blogger AlphaChick said...

No better time than the present :)

6:47 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

Now is the best time to do whatever it is you want to! Maybe we can commisserate together. I"m working on a transfer to our UK office - basically asking them to create a position for me. I'm in the preliminary stages of planning and working on the proposal, but I'm giddy at the prospect of this becoming a reality.
Good luck Julia!

7:19 AM  
Blogger TessaJ said...

Oh, how exciting for you!!!!! You're so brave :)

12:39 PM  
Blogger Jules said...

woo hoo!

This is so exciting! Can't wait to catch up with you in October when I am back home. And I fully intend to pop over to Amsterdam to see you (or meet up somewhere else in Europe) once you get settled (hey! it will only be about 10 or so hours of traveling from here to AMS, unlike the 30+ hours its going to take me to get home to Australia!!).

Congrats on making this jump - a little bit scary, really exciting, and a whole lot of fun waiting to be had.

4:41 PM  
Blogger iggy said...

Very exciting!
I'm sure it will all work out beautifully.

4:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home