Friday, September 15, 2006

Leftovers

Despite the recent cooking posts, my fridge rarely has more than half a dozen items in it. And I think I was determined to use every one of them up last night. The result? Delicious creamed corn and bacon fritters, topped with avocado and roast tomato, with Greek yoghurt. They're pretty to look at and go down a treat.

Fritters are the easiest thing to make and so good for using up whatever you have in the pantry and fridge. I used to make them with 2 minute noodles. I threw in Eumundi Smokehouse bacon (the best), creamed corn, fetta and chives, and while they were gently frying, slow roasted some mini roma tomatoes and made a basic salsa with diced avocado. Top with a dollop of Greek yoghurt, or sour cream.


Fritter goodness

And it being Friday, that makes it one whole working week of cooking at home! This hasn't happened since before I moved in more than a year ago. And glancing through my cookbooks as I put them away into my new bookshelf last night reminds me to keep it up, I love cooking.

5 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

between Gympie butter and Eumundi bacon I'm surprised you aren't thinking about moving to the Sunshine Coast too!

There's a bakery in Noosaville called The Essential Grain.

They make bread which is easily the best I have ever tasted, and combine it with Gympie butter and you have something that is better than sex.

12:52 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

Ooooh, yum! Will have to try making that myself, it sounds so yummy.

Such a shame I've just cooked sushi rice for dinner tonight. Dammit, now I don't feel like sushi any more!

5:07 PM  
Blogger la femme said...

did I mention that I am insanely jealous of your cooking skills?

12:54 AM  
Blogger Indiana said...

Didn't you finish just telling us that you weren't morphing into Martha?

9:19 AM  
Blogger Julia said...

Indiana, just wait till you read about this weekend!

9:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home