Tuesday, January 17, 2006

There Was A Weekend In There Somewhere

Friday night: Birthday Champers for Keli at the White Horse. Alisha flew in from Fraser Island and we walked over to Darlinghurst. First stop, Una's, for a drink and dinner. Stupidly huge schnitzel with mushroom sauce and rosti, then, bursting, we went to Darlo Bar for our beloved jug o' Pimms. Closing early as they do, we went to the Cross and did the strip, popping into the sex shops which really need an update. Dusty vibrators with faded packaging aren't doing anyone any favours.
Saturday: Yum cha at East Ocean with Alisha (the works, including steamed oysters, scallops and ginger shallot mud crab). During a second helping of what should be Sydney's quintessential summer dish - mango pancakes - we realised how late it was and bolted home, with me dropping Alisha off with only five minutes to spare for the wedding she'd flown over here for. 10 minutes later, stuck in traffic on my way to see grandma, a guy smashes into my car, causing a big dent and scratches on the side. AAMI are fantastic.
Saturday night: Kath and I have dinner at Spice I Am, sampling some of their signature dishes - crispy pork belly and pla tod ka min (deep fried sand whiting with tumeric, salt and pepper), and washed down with young coconut juice (I fly to Fiji and stay thirsty but end up finding young coconut around the corner from chez moi). Very good food. It's prolly a good thing they don't home deliver, it would be trouble for me. Then we head to the State Theatre to see Antony and the Johnsons (via a detour to Miro's and their chocolate con churros). Kath is a huge fan and I was really moved by the music too on this first tasting, especially the song You Are My Sister.
Sunday: Mum and I went to get me an outdoor setting for my balcony, finding the perfect glass table and two seats (a lovely present from mum). In the evening Alisha was too hungover from the wedding to do anything, so we had Domino's, DVDs (Sideways and 10 Things I Hate About You) and icecream.

You Are My Sister, Antony and the Johnsons
You are my sister, we were born
So innocent, so full of need
There were times we were friends but times I was so cruel
Each night I'd ask for you to watch me as I sleep
I was so afraid of the night
You seemed to move through the places that I feared
You lived inside my world so softly
Protected only by the kindness of your nature
You are my sister
And I love you
May all of your dreams come true
We felt so differently then
So similar over the years
The way we laugh the way we experience pain
So many memories
But theres nothing left to gain from remembering
Faces and worlds that no one else will ever know
You are my sister
And I love you
May all of your dreams come true
I want this for you
They're gonna come true (gonna come true)

Thanks to Joy inspiring me to join Self Portrait Tuesday, I scanned my favourite childhood photos of Kath and I.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

how the hell do you eat like you do and stay so slim??

3:26 PM  
Blogger Julia said...

I got a tan in Fiji - it works wonders at camoflaging the bad bits.

3:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home