Wednesday, November 07, 2007

This Week's Food


1. Spanish lamb roast


2. Odd one out


3. Spaghetti alla Carbonara


4. Blue egg


5. Pilmeni

1. It's spring, and I have been waiting for the right opportunity to have a Sunday lamb roast. And then I saw this recipe over at the wonderful Elegant Sufficiency for Spanish roast lamb, ordered a lamb mini roast from Butcherman and treated myself to a Gordon Ramsay-style Sunday lunch. This marinade is amazing, one I'll definitely make again. It even reminded me a little of Spain, as I'd hoped, and that can only be a wonderful thing.
In a mortar and pestle blend together 2 cloves of garlic, the leaves of a few sprigs of thyme, the juice of a large lemon, 2 teaspoons of smoked paprike, and a few Tablespoons of olive oil. Marinate the lamb for a few hours, or overnight. I baked at 220C for 10 minutes then at 170C for 1.5 hours to juicy perfection.
2. Beautiful cherry tomatoes on the vine from Fratelli Fresh.
3. I was tired/lazy and skipped Spanish. All I could think of was me, couch, any DVD, wine, and a big bowl of real carbonara. Pancetta, egg, pepper, pecorino (didn't have parmiggiano).
4. My last blue egg made my new favourite no-brainer lunch/dinner, a spinach and goat's curd omelette, which I was too hungry to devour to take a photo.
5. Little makes me happier than a big bowl of pilmeni, glossy with butter and a little vinegar.

4 Comments:

Blogger Mikey said...

ok. I'm hungry now for a bowl of pilmeni. Something that I haven't had for a long time....

11:17 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

1. what is pilmeni and are you cooking it again anytime soon?

2. where did you get that lamb roast from?

1:14 PM  
Blogger Julia said...

1. Pilmeni are Russian dumplings, like dim sum or ravioli. They are filled with chicken, or pork (or combinations of meats), and sweet ones which are similar but called vareniki can be filled with sour cherries, or cream cheese. Mum used to make them but now we have a 'pilmeni source' so get bags of really good ones and freeze them. I have a few extra bags if you want to pop round and try them.

2. I get my meat from butcherman.com.au now. Quality meat with free delivery. It was a 1.5kg roast so a good size for Sunday lunch plus lotsa leftovers.

2:46 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

well now that I am mobile again I might just have to pop over and grab a few!

4:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home