Saturday, September 15, 2007

New Caledonia

Tonight, New Caledonia is on my mind. My heart is thumping harder thinking about this place, that time. Certain instants flash to the forefront - the childish delights of ice slushies in that shop in the city; taking off to Mare and leaving a note on the door that I'd be back tomorrow; walking around the tinshed of Lifou airport; the lights and the colour of dusk that night that I'll never forget, coming home in a taxi, "en face de Boite a Pizza" I could say.

It was my second home, my love. At that time, I yearned for it. And right now, I have those same pangs.

I remember thinking after that disastrous last trip with A that this would be the last time I would ever be here, that why would I return, I'd been so many times, the rest of the world waited. I should never have taken him there. We brought our crap to a place that is not for sharing, not for others to get. It was so different to my earlier days there, and I was so different. It was a horrible week (except for the massive BB documentary on the tele).

I thought that was my last time. Now, I know I'll go back.


More than 10 years ago...

2 Comments:

Blogger AlphaChick said...

Of course you should go back. Don't let anything ruin that magical place for you.

1:31 AM  
Blogger TessaJ said...

Yes, go back! Reclaim it!

9:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home