Wednesday, September 12, 2007

I Cured My Own Salmon Mofos

I've already said how much I love the ABC's The Cook and The Chef, and a few weeks ago Simon prepared an ocean trout, vodka soused. It had me written all over it, so my recent fixation with the fish markets yielded some extra salmon for me to try. Here's my version.

2 fillets of salmon or ocean trout of even thickness, about 250g each
1/2 Tablespoon sugar
1/2 Tablespoon sea salt
1/2 garlic, crushed or sliced
4 Tablespoons vodka (I used Grey Goose but then I'm like that)
Zest of half a lemon

Clean the fillets and pat dry. Fit the fish into a container that will snuggly hold the fillets and add the fish skin side down. Mix the sugar, salt and garlic together and pat over the top. Carefully spoon over the vodka and flake over the lemon zest. Wrap in clingfilm and weigh down with something quite heavy - I used my butter dish, or a plate with a jar does fine. Leave in the fridge for a day or overnight, then turn over and leave for the same, 2-3 days all up.
Since this is a light curing there's no need to rinse the fillets, just pat away the flavourings with a papertowl.
Slice against the grain and enjoy. I like to take the salmon out of the fridge 10 minutes or so before eating to release the flavours of the fish.

4 Comments:

Blogger deborah said...

wow, that is impressive! i really want to try my hand at making gravalax.

p.s. i love the cook and the chef too, but do you find that there is a simmering tension building up between simon and maggie? sometimes i find simon annoying and then other times maggie annoys me with her reluctance to try asian flavours and chilli. or maybe i am the one simmering :/

2:35 PM  
Blogger Julia said...

Hi Deborah!

Hehe to me it comes across as jovial - I actually find it quite cute how they do their own styles and Maggie shudders when Simon starts cooking with chilis!

2:42 PM  
Blogger simon said...

lloks good. I agree re salmon out of fridge for 10 minutes.

Best salmon I ever had was at La Rontonde Brasserie in Montparnasse, Paris. They service it with a french Vodka, which sits in a bowl of crushed ice. It looks and tastes fantastic.

4:11 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

i am SO curing a salmon this weekend!

5:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home