Sunday, March 25, 2007

Grey Goose Vodka Penne

Why do things by halves? And when it's the only vodka in the freezer, I'm justifying it with the "only cook with wine you would drink" principle.

I'd heard of this cult dish, but never tried it. How could it be, me, who could eat pasta every day. So I made it for D and I, and it was so good that I made more for Sunday lunch.

The ratio: 8 parts tomato passata, 2 parts vodka, 1 part heavy cream. I read recipes that called for a bevy of ingredients, but why bother - I stuck to the simplest and it was gorgeous. Cook passata and vodka for 20 minutes, until reduced and nicely concentrated. Add cream that has been left out of the fridge to come to room temperature, otherwise it will curdle when added to the sauce. Warm through, season, and add cooked penne. Grate or shave parmesan. Chopped chives were a nice touch.
Beyond good.

2 Comments:

Blogger surfercam said...

OH
MY
GOD!
YUM!
And Grey Goose Vodka too!
The vodka alone in that dish would be worth $20!
Can you please post me a container full of that pasta???????

10:33 AM  
Blogger Julia said...

Oh god I don't want to think what each plate cost!

But dayyam it was tasty.

10:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home