Monday, October 09, 2006

Happy Birthday P

Mum's 60th birthday on Saturday was a really great celebration. She looked beautiful, in pinky brown chiffon and a glowing smile all day. Of course, no event would pass without some ridiculous drama, this time we had a spat over the placecards I made and then it took an hour to organise the seating plan. Lunch was a gathering of her closest friends and the cousins, and everyone had a great time. I've never seen so many flowers (or bottles of vodka and scotch at lunch). It was wonderful to see mum so happy, and relaxed. The food was lovely, and all her friends made speeches. Kath and I did one too which went down a treat:

KB: I love that you still try and hold my hand when we cross the road.
JB: I love that we speak four times a day.
KB: I love that you insist I like grechnivaya kasha (boiled buckwheat) even though I’ve been telling you for 38 years that I hate it.
JB: ...and I love that you still try and get me to eat it even though I’ve always hated it too.
KB: I love that you’re always there for me and the kids and I can rely on you.
JB: I loved watching Sex and the City with you recently, crying and laughing at the same bits.
KB: I love your ragaliki.
JB: I love your chicken Kiev.
KB: I love your schniztels.
JB: And now I even love your gefilte fish!
KB: I love the fact that you taught me the art of picking chicken bones.
JB: I love that you always believe you need another pair of shoes – and have passed this on to me.
KB: I love that you always ask me questions during a movie and that I miss the next five minutes explaining it to you.
JB: I love that no matter where we are, we’ll always try and detour past the Bally warehouse.
KB: I love the fact that you are independent, and a strong woman that I look up to.
JB: I love that you are my best friend, and you understand me, no matter what.
Both: And we love that you still tell us to put something warm on!

4 Comments:

Blogger Mabs said...

Tearing up reading that, it's gorgeous.

I keep teasing mum about her 60th, telling her all about my plans for a mystery bus tour, complete with strippers in uniform!

3:49 PM  
Blogger Julia said...

Thanks hon. Damn, strippers - what a great idea!

4:31 PM  
Blogger AlphaChick said...

How beautiful! Jules you are a wondeful daughter!

8:24 AM  
Blogger chimera said...

how lovely - you, your mother and your sister are lucky to have each other!

10:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home