Friday, April 07, 2006

C'e Un Bar Al'Angolo

It's the last Italian class tomorrow. Two weeks ago our adored teacher was replaced by one of the most beautiful men I have ever seen. He is so beautiful, I actually thought I would not be able to attend any more classes for fear of not being able to concentrate. Being teacher's pet, I always sit up the front, so it was impossible not to fixate my eyes on his eyes, hair, face, arms, Armani tshirt, shoes that only a European could get away with (like uber cool Keds).

Ok, despite this amazingly gorgeous man, who mum and I both said we would do, who loves Russian women, and who yes has a girlfriend he is in love with, I've realised that I have not learnt that much. I took Italian For Beginners (one of my favourite movies, coincidentally) because I'd done an Italian travellers class three years ago and got by quite well, and this time I wanted to learn Italian from the ground up, grammer and all. And despite having the best teacher ever, who is pure Fellini and gorgeous and fun and you can't help but get right into it, the class was just another travellers language course. We learnt andiamo before andare, as in andiamo prendere un cafe...c'e un bar al'angolo . I have learnt some great Sicilian swear words, but I don't yet know how to say what I do, or ask if there are any rooms available*. We have perfected giving directions to Villa Borghese when in fact who is ever going to ask a local for directions, and even if you do, you'll never understand a word they've said because no doubt your hotel/public toilets/Gucci is not simply "alla seconda traversa deve girare a destra".

And I still haven't learnt how to ask for a shoe in a 39.5.

* To be honest, I haven't done a single hour's worth of practise at home, or listened to the weekly CDs. We could be up to translating Dante, for all I know.

2 Comments:

Blogger la femme said...

I love this post.

Perhaps you can just bring him to Italy with you, and he can translate for you...

11:37 PM  
Blogger TessaJ said...

He has a girlfriend?????? This was not the update I wanted (or expected, for that matter!)

4:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home