Friday, October 14, 2005

Last Night

I have been doing a weekly French conversation class, just to keep up my fluency, entitled Vous avez dit choquant? We discuss cultural actualities that have shocked French society from the second half of last century. Although there hasn't been much discussion - we've watched two films out of four classes (the first was Jules et Jim), which is not great for my wallet but fine for my post-work lethargic self, where the most I can summons is an enthusiastic "bonne soiree!" as I head for the lifts.

Last night we watched L'Amant.

I read the book in English when I was much younger and it really struck me, then saw the English-dubbed version when it came out but was disappointed. This French version felt right. I really recommend both book and movie, even if your French is not that fluent, it is very easy to understand.

To be honest though, I really didn't need to be stuck in a classroom watching an extremely sexy, moving film set in Vietnam. It was torture. I need sex. I want to go to Vietnam. Repeat.

1 Comments:

Blogger Julia said...

It's not at the Alliance - I've done a few courses there (including my very first French class, aged 16!) - but they are very expensive and do not offer themed classes, whereas this one screamed out to me (Gainsbourg and Bardot were mentionned in the write-up, need I say more!)

She is assez bizarre - for a conversation class she does all the conversation. I think I've managed to squeeze in about 4 lines.

8:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home