Thursday, February 15, 2007

Zidane, A 21st Century Portrait

Insanely beautiful. An absolutely one-of-a-kind experience. I had been anticipating this moment since mid last year and I could barely breathe waiting for it to start. It's most definitely art, hypnotic, clever, hard work at times. There's a clip of chaos in Iraq, and a man wearing a Zidane shirt and it just knocks you for six. I kept thinking chess, Tiberius. Yes, I'm overly romantic and awash in a warm wave of love for a man and a monumental time, and it all makes my heart beat faster. But that face, and in that focus...
To see: only at the cinema; only if you're a diehard fan, of football or art.
---
To get to the screening, I took the bus. Public transport sucks dicks in this city. Labor are a bunch of cunts for having public transport in such a shithole in 2007. How can they tell people to leave their cars at home and take public transport with a straight face? My local bus is supposed to come every 15 minutes. While I wait for more than half an hour, seven go by on the other side of the road. And public transport takers are a nasty lot; hardly anyone is on, but they sit on the aisle seat glaring at you as you get on, and god forbid they should budge over to the window when you want to sit down. And it's absolutely embarassing that the paying system hasn't changed since I was a teen - Travel Tens and their stupid machines that clog up people getting on; the stupid zoning system - who knows how much a ride costs, bad enough for locals but the poor tourists; why isn't there just one ticket that you can use for all public transport? Done, easy. No, let's just blame the opposition and continue give it to the public from behind. The Paris Metro is a joy, the Tube is always whinged about but it's a godsend compared to what we have. You can keep your buses and trains, I couldn't live without my car.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

agreed

I refuse to catch public transport in this city.

I live in Tempe. You know where that is? (yes, I know you know)

Well it is faster and not significantly more expensive for me to DRIVE my 10 year old 4WD to St Leonards than to catch the train.

Ridiculous.

11:17 PM  
Blogger deepkickgirl said...

I knew Sydney public transport sucked when I found the public transport, especially the trains, in Medellin, Colombia were 100% better than ours.

What the...?

7:06 AM  
Blogger surfercam said...

Julia, I know you're into your cooking. Do you know of any good Mexican cookbooks?

11:27 AM  
Blogger Julia said...

SC sorry, that's prolly the one area of cooking I know very little about! My dream is to one day eat proper Mexican, and if you find any good recipes let me know!

11:43 AM  
Blogger surfercam said...

Yeah, see I used to live in Dallas (Texas, USA) for a few years and I CRAVE REAL MEXICAN FOOD, not the crap you get here.
It's ok, I'll suss it out and let you know.

4:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home