Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Cafe Vue Lunchbox

A brought me back a Cafe Vue lunchbox from Melbourne this morning. These are a cute new item offered by Shannon Bennett's nextdoor cafe and I have been squeeling for one everytime he goes down for work. The lunchbox is a great idea and I'm surprised there aren't more of them. I have always loved a lunchbox - from Noumea when R would drop of his three-tiered tiffin in town before work and pick it up on his way home for lunch and he shared his three courses with me, it was unfussy but very delicious - salads, a simple carottes rapees, a curry or stew, maybe a tarte Tatin for dessert; to being gaga in La Grande Epicerie over their pique-nique boxes of bread and cheeses.

They are $15 and billed as "perfect for a unique board room lunch or a first class airline meal to go" - or for an epicurean ex-girlfriend who keeps 'suggesting' you bring one back for her. It came in a cute red box with simple packaging and delightful wooden cutlery. Inside was a smooth babaganush with grisini, a simple tomato and Spanish onion salad, with a test tube of balsamic vinegarette, a delicious mini lamb roll, with mint and rocket and a smidgen of herb mayonnaise, and half an espresso cup of the most wonderful dark chocolate and Grand Marnier mousse. I was surprised how fresh it looked and tasted after 24 hours since purchase and interstate travelling. Yum! I hope my enthusiasm means he will keep bringing them back, as the menu changes regularly...


Just a hint...

Unpacked...

Revealed!

10 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

what did my parents bring me back from India?

silk scarves?
no
delicately emroidered cushion covers?
no
semi precious gemstones?
no
gaudy tourist t-shirts?
no

Tiffin tins!!!

beautiful stainless steel tiffin tins that stack on top of each other and are held inplace by a big clip on each side.

There's a Golbal Village episode(one of my Top 5 favourite programs of all time) about the tiffin delivery men in India...every morning these men collect hundreds of tiffin tins from wives and mothers from every corner of Bombay and somehow manage to deliver them to their rightful owners by lunchtime.

Ever since I saw that episode I have wanted a set of tiffin tins...so I could take my curry, rice, daal and raita to work without it winding up as one soggy unrecogniseable mess.

And now...I have tiffin tins!

3:06 PM  
Blogger Julia said...

OMG if you have spare tiffins I will buy one off you! Alex Liddy made some last year but they were a bit pastel shabby chic for me.

They are so good and so handy.

3:14 PM  
Blogger The Late Bloomer said...

Now THAT looks like a great lunch...

I'm rapidly becoming what you might call an epicurean myself, although I've always had cravings for more than I can afford! Story of my life... But I figure, once in a while we all deserve it. Life is too short, and would we even enjoy it otherwise?!

10:32 PM  
Blogger Jules said...

I had such disappointing meals on my domestic flights recently (including an abysmal one this evening with Qantas) that having one of those lunchboxes on a domestic flight would be awesome (although you would need to prevent the person sitting next to you from drooling all over you!).

12:15 AM  
Blogger surfercam said...

Oh Yum!
I was just loving under your "loves" and I see you have listed Radiohead.
I am a huge fan too!
I wore out The Bends, Pablo Honey and Ok Computer when my girlfriend left me.
Radiohead and Stella Artois got me through it all....

6:00 PM  
Blogger Julia said...

Love Radiohead. Yes, the albums have come out in 'tough' relationship moments.

Did you get Thom's solo album? And did you see them when they were here in 04?

8:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG Tiffin tins!!! I have them too. Okay so now I need to know how the script is going. Hmm?

9:25 PM  
Blogger surfercam said...

Yep, got Thom's album.
No, didn't get to see them (not sure why I didn't go???)
They have a new album coming out this year.

12:49 PM  
Blogger Julia said...

Oh that's great, I didn't know about a new album.

The concert was really good.

1:28 PM  
Blogger AlphaChick said...

OMG tiffin tins! Reminds me of my childhood!! I never knew what they were called in English ...

10:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home